Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A glimpse of Saudi Arabia old and new

Hey Everyone!

Guess what? I’m going to Saudi Arabia!

I have the amazing opportunity to travel to Saudi Arabia for two weeks over winter break. This opportunity presented itself after I became involved with the Model Arab League (MAL) on campus.

MAL is a model that mirrors the inner workings of the Arab League. Participants in the MAL learn about Middle Eastern politics and diplomacy. The organization that runs all the MAL conventions, the National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations, sponsors study abroad, fellowships, and other opportunities to experience Middle Eastern culture.

Once a student has participated in one MAL convention, they are eligible for one of these study abroad opportunities. I was nominated for the Saudi Arabia Fellowship by my MAL advisor Nawal Bonomo. Once nominated, I had to apply and write an essay explaining my plans for my fellowship year.

In a fellowship program, after you spend time abroad you come home and talk about your experiences in public forum. I had to plan what kinds of public lectures, articles, and other activities I was going to do. I was selected for the program about two weeks later. This is my first time traveling out of the country and it is a dream come true!

During my two week visit to Saudi Arabia, I will see both the old and new Saudi Arabia. While many Middle Eastern countries like Saudi Arabia are moving forward and becoming bustling centers of business and commerce, old traditions and customs are still the focus of everyday life.

I am really excited to be traveling abroad. This is truly a rare opportunity. I will be blogging from Saudi Arabia, and I will be keeping you up to date on my adventures!!!!!!

xoxo Maddy

 P.S. websites you all might be interested in reading further:
— Madalyn Goss is a junior political science major with a Middle Eastern Studies minor.

#BUAbroad #HuskyUnleashed #CoCurricularLearning


No comments:

Post a Comment