Thursday, January 30, 2014

Every journey begins with a single step








After a short flight, we arrived in Dammam. Dammam is located on the Persian Gulf and is a hub for the oil industry in Saudi Arabia. Here, we visited the Jabail industrial city that was a planned city for different corporations to come and place their operations in. It also is equipped for housing all the workers that have and will be coming to work at these various companies. The city is located on the Gulf, so of course, we had to take a photo op.

The next day we went to the Kind Fahd Causeway, which links Saudi Arabia to Bahrain. We could not go all the way to Bahrain but we did go to the little island between them (as far as we were allowed to go). The views of Bahrain waaaaaaay in the distance and Saudi Arabia behind us were pretty breathtaking.

My trip to Saudi Arabia had truly been a blessing. I am going to be sad to go home.

Conclusion


I learned many things during my short visit to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. First and foremost, the people of KSA aren’t so different from me. I had more in common with the people I met than I thought I would. The people I met in Saudi Arabia were some of the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met. I’ve made many friends (we keep in touch on Facebook) who I hope to see again someday. Second, Saudi women aren’t shy creatures being held back by men.

The women I met during my time in KSA inspired, and continue to inspire me everyday. Despite restrictions and other obstacles, they are following their dreams and achieving their goals. They are also extremely optimistic and are always positive about the future for women in the Kingdom.

Lastly, I learned that no matter where you come from, where you live, or what your background is, we are all human. This was a life changing experience and I have come back to BU a changed person.

I would like to thank the National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations and the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Higher Education for arranging this trip. I would also like to thank Nawal Bonomo who has been my MAL advisor and who nominated me for this experience. I can’t thank you enough!!!!

I would also like to thank my family and friends for putting up with “I’M GOING TO SAUDI ARABIA!!!!!” for about three months straight! And lastly, I would like to thank my parents for supporting me every step of the way.

xoxo Maddy

P.S. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!

— Madalyn Goss is a junior political science major with a Middle Eastern Studies minor.

#BUAbroad #HuskyUnleashed #CoCurricularLearning


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.