The BU Toy Library exists to support the academic and professional development of undergraduate and graduate students across departments and programs. It gives them access to hundreds of literacy and play resources that support and expand their interactions with individuals of all developmental ages and abilities.
The BU Toy Library is unique among other toy lending libraries insofar as it serves as a vehicle for mobilizing an entire community of scholars in service to others through outreach initiatives and volunteer work.
The BU Toy Library is a resource, training, outreach, and research center. Our resources are available for students and professionals involved in teaching, practicum, internship, clinic work, course projects, and volunteer work.
As a training center, we provide online tutorials, guidebooks, classroom presentations, and professional conference workshops. As an outreach center, many professionals within the community use our resources. This semester we are implementing the “Say Yes! Program” which is Youth Engaged in Service to teach youth volunteerism using our established “Y.O.O Rock Columbia County” Guide. The BU Toy Library is also research center where students and faculty alike can develop, implement, and assess innovative resources and programs.
Check out our biannual newsletter to see all the different ways that the BU Toy Library has served our campus and our community!
Feedback from toy library members includes:
- “I wanted to thank you for the amazing resource of the Toy Library and how much it has supported our program.” –Speech Pathology Graduate Student
- “The children loved the magnetic board animal habitat, they wanted to play with it the entire session!” –Speech Pathology Graduate Student
- “Children and parents loved the play-food we used [for a healthy eating Educational Expo]!” –Community Elementary School Teacher
- “The puppets were very popular and well received” –Early Childhood Education Student
- “Elephant and Piggie books along with puppets were used and the children absolutely adored them!” –Early Childhood Education Student
- — Emily Haines is an intern with BU Toy Library.