Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Waking up to the howl of howler monkeys


Hey fellow Huskies,

It's pretty hard to believe that today (May 23) is my last full day in the USA for about a month, as tomorrow morning I board my first flight to the island of Ometepe, Nicaragua to finish my last few undergraduate credits at BU.

It seems completely surreal to me that I could be afforded an opportunity like this to finish my degree internationally, and I hope by detailing some of this experience for all of you, I encourage you to go out there in the big bad world and do the same!

First off, it would be in my best interest to explain what exactly I'm going to be doing in Central America that could possibly relate to our undergraduate career goals as Bloomsburg students.

I'm currently about to finish a B.A. in Anthropology, and through a program my professor and mentor Dr. Faith Warner recommended to me, I'll be studying for the next few weeks primate behavior and rainforest ecology through the Maderas Rainforest Conservancy.

Now, I recognize obviously that might not be everyone's cup of tea, so I'd like to mention that this program offers a variety of other classes including photography, sea turtle ecology, art, rainforest ecology, climate change, and botany classes which serve to benefit a wide range of majors.

In a nutshell, not only this program but many others out there can serve to benefit you and your career goals. Get to know your professors and your mentors, it seems obvious but their experience in the world and the workforce can be such a valuable resource to your future, because I know I wouldn't be going on this once in a lifetime trip without the guidance of my department.

If you think studying abroad might something you're interested in, get out there and ask, explore your options! There's a life changing experience out there waiting for everyone, you just have to be proactive about becoming the navigator of your life's adventures.

Over the next few weeks I'll be living and working on the island of Ometepe, settled in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, the largest freshwater lake in Central America. Myself and the other students in my group studying primate behavior will be observing and developing our own independent research projects about the two groups of monkeys living on the island, white faced capuchins and howler monkeys (who I've been told make an excellent alarm clock for us in the mornings.)

I'm very lucky to have the opportunity to share this experience with anyone who wants to follow me on my journey throughout the Nicaraguan rainforest, and I truly hope that this unique experience of mine encourages some of you to get out there and show the world just how intelligent and driven us Bloomsburg students are. I know I sure am!

Until next time ...
    — Jeanine Hubert is an anthropology major.
#BUAbroad #HuskyUnleashed


No comments:

Post a Comment