Wednesday, November 12, 2014

3 organizations I wish I would have joined


Bloomsburg has so many opportunities for absolutely anyone on campus with any interest. If there isn’t something for you, it is extremely easy to create your own club! I was lucky enough to discover Program Board and it has most definitely opened an infinite amount of doors for my future, but there a few other organizations on campus that I wish I would have joined.

When I was in high school and looking at colleges, I was planning on being a nurse. I never in my wildest dreams would have predicted that in three years from my senior year, be a senior majoring in the business field, let alone being a marketing major but that is exactly where I am now and I wouldn’t change it for the world. But when I was in high school, there was a club called Phi Beta Lambda, which stands for Future Business Leaders.

If I would have known that I would be where I am today when I was in high school, I would have joined that club in a heartbeat. As a freshmen, I had no idea what I was getting into, how much time I would have on my hands, or any idea what Bloomsburg had to offer. I was very narrow minded and that is one of my biggest regrets.

After my three years here, I wish I would have joined this club for a couple of reasons; it’s a resume booster, it is a national business organization recognized throughout the country, and holds fundraisers, guest speaker events and meet the alumni events. This club would have been great for expanding my network and would have expanded my knowledge about the campus and what Bloomsburg has to offer for after I graduate. If I had the opportunity to meet alumni, I’m sure I would be hearing a lot of the advice I am now giving you.

Another organization that I wish I would have joined is the American Marketing Association (AMA). AMA is a professional association for individuals and organizations teaching and developing marketing knowledge worldwide. This club could have given me a great opportunity to really expand and grow my knowledge of the ever changing marketing world. This club could have given me a leg up on some applicants that I will be competing with for jobs. They say it’s all about who you know in the business world and the more connections you make and the wider your network, the more doors will be open for you in the future.

They also get the opportunity to go to the International Collegiate American Marketing Association Conference where you can take your marketing skills to the next level by learning from and interacting with current marketing professionals from all over the country. At the conference there would be presentations that are given about current market trends, how to get a career in marketing, and the constant change of marketing. This would have been an amazing resume booster and a great opportunity for anyone in marketing.

The past two organizations I talked about were very similar in how they could benefit me and were geared more toward something that would have increased my knowledge in the field of business, but my third organization is a bit different. I would have loved to join the dance ensemble. Now you’re probably thinking, “What in the world does that have to do with your major and can you even dance?”

Good question! No, I have never tried dancing in my entire life, but I love the Step Up movies and wish I could own those skills that they have and dance like no one but yet everyone is watching! *snaps fingers and strikes a sassy pose* Another reason is because a couple of my friends were part of the dance ensemble and I would have loved to have something other than classes that we can all have fun at. Don’t get me wrong, dance is a lot of hard work and takes a lot of time and effort, but it sounds like a lot of fun too!

Okay, okay if you want to hear about the resume side of things and how it can benefit you, then here it is. When you join the dance ensemble, you are joining a team, you need to learn discipline, time management skills, teamwork, reliability, and confidence. I recently had a practice phone interview with a company that I might be working for after I graduate and she explained to me how I should answer the question, “Why do I want to be a sales person?”

She told me to think about the sports that I was in and talk about those abilities that I possessed and whip them out for the kill! She also told me that bringing up any inspiring stories that you may have from doing some sort of sport or activity. Since I have never had a single dance lesson in my life, I’m sure there are plenty of obstacles I could have brought up during an interview that I could have overcame.

All in all, joining any sort of club or organization on campus can expand you knowledge, network, and skills and abilities that can be helpful for the future. Don’t’ be afraid to try new things or meet new people. Remember, college is one of the biggest opportunities you will ever have to try out hundreds of new and exciting things. Like I said before, I had no idea I would be in the position that I am today, the future is always changing, don’t hold back, take a deep breath, and go for it!

— Chelsea Underhill, senior marketing major #HuskyLife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.