Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Not letting winter break, break you


Finals are done, and I’m heading home for winter break.

It’s a bitter sweet moment, I can’t wait to go back to my mom’s cooking, but I’m not looking forward to my parents asking me what I’m doing, where I’m going, what time I will be home every single day. I also can’t wait to have some alone time because in college, you are always surrounded by people.

My first winter break was such a wonderful experience and change from high school. Over winter break in college, all you have to worry about is getting your final grades back from classes and ordering books for next semester classes. Another fun and exciting thing is that you picked your classes on your own, you aren’t placed into those classes by your advisor, so you have something to look forward to. This is also a great opportunity to make some money with a part-time job.

Now that you are more familiar with the campus and the things you can do near or around campus and have made friends to do stuff with, you need some cash. I worked at a restaurant part-time, but I found myself really bored at home. A lot of my friends from high school had jobs they needed to work at too or stayed at school to take winter classes or have even moved away. This winter I found a second part-time job to keep my busy.

As winter break came to a close, I was getting extremely anxious to go back to school to see all of my friends and be away from my parents again. I was even missing the food at the commons!! But for others, that wasn’t the case.

I asked my roommate before I started writing this blog about her experience her freshmen year to get someone else’s perspective, so I wasn’t completely bias.

Transferring?


I found out that at that time in her college career here, she was thinking about transferring or dropping out of school to go work. She came in as a freshmen not really knowing what she wanted to do, so she was undeclared.

She also didn’t have the best roommate experience, and your roommate is supposed to be your new best friend. It doesn’t always work out that way, I know it didn’t for me either.

When you don’t make that good connection with your roommate your freshmen year, it deters you from making other friends here as well, it gives you the impression that a lot of people around you aren’t nice either, so you don’t even bother trying. Sometimes you do try to make friends with the people in your hallway, but the drama with your roommate haunts you with the people that live around you.

For example, when my roommate and I started to argue and not get a long, she would turn people that lived in the hall against me. She was more outgoing and confrontational then I was, so I had a hard time sticking up for myself. Situations like that, from my experience, make you want to stay in your room and keep to yourself focused on the next time you get to go home.

I found out at the end of my first semester that my roommate was dropping out of school and going home to work because she found that school was too expensive for her. That was a huge weight off of my shoulders, because I felt like I could have a new start with a different roommate the next semester. My roommate on the other hand, did not have that luxury.

She decided to give Bloomsburg one more semester before she gave up for good. She said, “It was the best decision she ever made.”

Early into her second semester, she joined Program Board and made a ton of friends. She had a place to go whenever her and her roommate were arguing or she just wanted to get away. She also told me that after your first semester in college, you realize how much free time you actually have.

I asked, her, if you had any advice for students who were thinking of transferring, what would you say to them and she said, “Join a club, get involved, and don’t give up. Your years at college will be one of the best experiences of your life, so take advantage of them in any way that you can.”

College has definitely been a roller coaster for me, but I wouldn’t change my experiences for the world. I wouldn’t be where I am today and I am extremely happy and proud of the person that I have become and am still becoming. Even if your situation isn’t ideal, keep trying and keep your head up.

“I believe everything happens for a reason…and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe

— Chelsea Underhill, senior marketing major #HuskyLife

No comments:

Post a Comment