Thursday, February 12, 2015

Words of wisdom



Hello Huskies! Now that we’re starting to stray away from the first week gotta look nice stage of the semester and are slowly moving towards the rolling out of bed wearing yoga’s and/or sweats to campus every day look, the reality of being back to the grind of things is starting to sink in (for some slower than others).

As a graduating senior I feel it is my duty to grant the youngsters of BU with my best advice to help you survive the greatest, most exciting four years of your life. And although it gives me great pain to claim the role of a soon to be graduating senior, I hope to shape my grief into pure reminiscent bliss by telling some of my stories in hopes that present and future huskies can avoid my mistakes and follow in my happiest footsteps.

After completing seven out of eight semesters at BU I can confidently say I have experienced just as many (or more) awkward and embarrassing moments you are probably experiencing. I was just as uninvolved and unconcerned as most of you, always reassuring myself with, “I still have time to pick a major, I still have time to get a job, I still have time to find an internship.

#RachaelTip - Never allow waiting to become a habit. Looking back, four years was NOT that much time.

*Flashback to 2011*


High school senior me made the impulsive decision to commit to Bloomsburg University. Back then, as if this was that long ago, my future was extremely unclear. I had no idea what I wanted to major in, no idea what I was good at, and no idea if I could survive living away from home.

So I decided to migrate a total of 20 whopping miles from my hometown to Bloomsburg University. Such a huge transition. I sometimes detest my choice and wish that I would have at least attempted to relocate to a university farther away from home. But after all of this reminiscing I came to realize I could go on for hours about what I would change. But that’s not why I’m here. What I want to share is what has changed all of my doubts about BU, a university I chose solely due to its convenient distance from home.

I can now truly say that I am completely content with my decision to come to Bloomsburg University. Not only did BU help me discover my strengths, it has allowed me to meet and connect with inspiring students, professors, and coworkers. Unfortunately, it took me until the very end of my sophomore year to grasp the fact that I had nada to put on my resume. I was not involved in any clubs or organizations, I didn’t have a job, and I had not made any influential connections.

ATTENTION READERS - if this sounds like the present you - listen up!

One of the first steps I decided to take was job searching on campus. While talking with my peers, one of my friends suggested applying to the Student Activities Office in Kehr Union. Fortunately they were seeking students like me who lived locally and would be available to work during the summer, so I was lucky enough to get a job as an office and main desk assistant.

However, my #RachaelTip to you would be to apply to several places on campus, not just one.

This way, you can get your application out there and have options while also not feeling bad about yourself for not getting a call back. Having an on campus job has been a wonderful opportunity and has allowed me to become much more involved within the campus community. For me, working on campus has given me the chance to meet other students while opening up doors I never knew existed. With this job came firsthand access to exciting information on campus events, activities, trips, and discounts the university offers.

For all of you undeclared majors, I was once in your rocky boat. My sophomore year I finally made the decision to join the communication studies major.

#RachaelTip - I highly recommend looking into this major!

The communication studies department has an amazing group of faculty and a variety of concentrations you can choose from than fit your interests.

But anyways….(not trying to be the poster child for Comm Studies, but really, it is the best ☺), after declaring a major I slowly started to make my way into the crowd. I decided to join the NCASC (National Communication Association Student Club).

NCASC is a national organization welcoming students of all majors meeting bi-weekly and providing important information and workshops on topics such as interview etiquette, how to perfect your resume, landing internships, studying abroad, and more. Oh, did I forget to mention the free pizza??? NCASC is run by a group of BU students ranging from sophomores to seniors, so don’t worry, you won’t feel intimidated by a bunch of big seniors running the show.

After being involved in the club for nearly two years, my junior year I decided to run for a leadership position on the exec board which would be in charge of Public Relations and the clubs social media sites. When I first joined NCASC sophomore year, I never thought that I would be one of the students helping to organize events and run the meetings.

#RachaelTip - if you want to strengthen your resume, exec board positions show diversity and your ability to handle leadership roles.

Usually at the end of the spring semester clubs will vote for new exec board members to replace any graduating seniors. Whether you are a leader in a club or general member, joining a campus organization is a significant way to get your foot in the door and boost your resume.

Although I can’t speak for all departments, if you are unsure if your major has a club or organization my advice would be to check with your department secretary. They are there to help you and are very friendly! You may also want to look into finding out whether or not there is an honor society for your major.

Lambda Pi Eta, BU's communication honor society, reached out to me my junior year inviting me to join the other honor students in the major. A month or two after getting inducted, I decided to run for the open Public Relations position and I somehow landed the role. While running up against my fellow students I thought to myself, “What am I doing? I look like a fool. No one will vote for me!” Please, don’t have these thoughts!

#RachaelTip – Remember, you can do anything you put your mind to. As long as you stay true to yourself I assure you, all of your hard work will be recognized.

So freshman and sophomores, maybe even some juniors and seniors….get up and get moving! With the large variety of student life opportunities on campus, there really are no excuses. BU has more than 250 student clubs and organizations ranging from the arts, business, entertainment, athletics, community service, and faith. I have built friendships, gained leadership positions, and created amazing opportunities for myself because of being active in all that the university has to offer.

Nowadays, students with scholarly grades are not as notable as those who are deeply involved with a wide range of roles and engagements. After all, college is more than just going to class. It’s about taking advantage of the rewarding opportunities sitting in front of you. One final #RachaelTip - Enjoy every moment. Make mistakes, try new things, learn, and push yourself to greatness!

— Rachael Scicchitano, senior communication studies major #HuskyLife #ProfessionalU

No comments:

Post a Comment