Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A summer of new people, new skills


My experience with the college student affairs program has involved a lot of change!

I have been so fortunate to be able to work in a department where I love being able to help students learn, grow, and develop. I am Chelsea Titus, a second-year graduate student in the CSA program. I completed my undergraduate degree in exercise science at Salisbury University in Maryland.

What a change coming from the eastern shore of Maryland to the Pennsylvania mountains! I found my way to Bloomsburg through applying for and securing a graduate hall director position.

 Last year, I supervised the Montgomery Place Apartments; this fall I will be moving to “lower campus” (literally, lower in altitude) supervising Schuylkill Hall.

Throughout the summer I will be working within the housing operations side of Bloomsburg’s residence life program, managing summer camps, conferences, and events. My main responsibility is to assure that all events run as smoothly as possible.

This includes signing in and checking out groups who use the facilities, intercepting and resolving building or room problems, as well as being on call (in case of emergencies!) on a rotating basis with other residence life staff. I work with two graduate assistants and, together, we are the "go-to" people who solve problems or help the groups that utilize campus spaces.

For example, I recently helped with Berwick High School's prom which was organized in the Kehr Union Building. I successfully aided in fixing lighting issues in the ballroom, worked with information technology staff sound preparation, and built a professional working relationship with BHS' advisers. Not only was it fun to reminisce my old high school days, I was able to talk to several high school seniors who will attend BU in the fall!

I am looking forward to a summer of meeting new people, learning new skills, and of course staying in touch with all of my CSA friends!

— Chelsea Titus, college student affairs #EducationalLeadership #ProfessionalU

No comments:

Post a Comment