Friday, March 10, 2017

Longing for the past, restless for the future


I find myself at a standstill as I finish my junior year of college. I’m constantly reflecting on the past, letting nostalgia overwhelm me with the way things used to be. I see myself maturing on social media and investing myself in work rather than going on personal adventures. I blame email for my transition into adulthood. My email is always open on my desktop and the worst part is that I get excited to see who’s reaching out or responding to my messages.

Just for the record fellow students, that’s when you know you’ve completed your transition into the real world.

We all want to stay young forever. I would stay 21 years old for the rest of my life if it were possible. I remember reading a quote on the internet that said, “A year of hurting so bad, but living so good.”

I find these words constantly floating around in my head as I live out my last few years as a young adult. I truly find my early twenties as the years we are living so good. We are free of most major responsibilities, we develop our passions, we meet our forever friends and most importantly, we build the foundation for our future. As much as this is the time of living so good, I also see it as the time of hurting so bad. We face several heartbreaks, we leave friends behind, fail tests and seem to face more rejections than anything else. Every day I remind myself that this is all part of the process.

Sophomore year will always be my favorite year out of the four. During that period of time, my friends and I were carefree, balancing on the fine line between freedom and responsibility. We didn’t know what the next year would have in store for us, nor did we care. We finally lived in our own apartments and had our cars with us, which gave us every reason to explore whenever we could.

Yes, we had schoolwork that needed to done, but it did not seem as important as the life lessons we chose to face instead. Staying up all night, broken down vehicles, driving hours to get diner food, flying across the country, and doing it all with the friends who continue to make my heart full will forever be the memories of my sophomore year.

The moments we share together as we grow up are equally as memorable, but reflect a new stage of life. Getting the call that we received the internships we have strived for, seeing our stories being published, and planning our last year together as college students is this stage.

If I have any advice for an underclassman, it’s to make the most of your first two years of college. If you’re questioning going out with friends, do it. If you’re not sure you want to spend those extra dollars, do it. Those are the moments that turn into the memories we will always carry with us.

— Megan Hawbecker, junior mass communications major #HuskyLife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.