Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A large learning experience full of transition

Hello! My name is Alex Reynolds, and I am a second-year student in Bloomsburg University's Educational Leadership, College Student Affairs program. Before coming to Bloomsburg, I graduated from Salisbury University in Maryland with a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts degree in New Media. Since starting at BU, I have engaged in a high capacity in my graduate assistantship as a Graduate Hall Director and as the Treasurer for Chi Sigma Alpha, the College Student Affairs honor society and student organization.

For the summer, I am working as a Summer Graduate Hall Director (GHD) in Elwell Hall East. With my transition from Montgomery Place Apartments complex last year to a more traditional residence hall, there have been a lot of learning experiences. Living with the students in the same general location, my office being one floor below my apartment, and the ease of accessibility to the departmental office that I communicate with daily has been convenient. The proximity of my office has also promoted reflection about the challenges of and learning involved in keeping a work-life balance.

My chief responsibilities as a GHD involve engaging the residents of Elwell with their Summer Session 1 classes. Planning events, keeping students aware of maintenance of the building, and checking in on students overall have been my tasks so far. Alongside of this, I am preparing to integrate residents within the Summer Preparatory Program into the climate of living on-campus for the coming weeks and within the academic year if they continue to matriculate here at Bloomsburg.

Getting to know my student staff has been nothing less than immersive. I have enjoyed developing relationships with the Community Assistant staff that I supervise. In addition to the standard GHD responsibilities, the department has added a new professional position assigned to the new residence hall that will open in August. There have been interviews with candidates for that role and it has been nothing less than exciting.

I also work with Joanne Powser, a CSA student and Summer Graduate Hall Director for Elwell Hall West. Working with her and going through similar transitions, from working with upperclass student populations to preparing for both the Summer Preparatory Program students and for the 2017-2018 academic year, has been stimulating. Working with each other and going through graduate school together has been beneficial for me by having support from a coworker and a future colleague in the student affairs field.

This summer is one large learning experience full of transition. Overall, seeing the large amount of learning and engagement with all aspects involved in my summer work so far has me hopeful for the future learning experiences that are to come.

— Alex Reynolds, college student affairs #EducationalLeadership #ProfessionalU

No comments:

Post a Comment